Born in Oregon and raised in Washington State, Chris Roy graduated cum laude from Gonzaga University in 1993 and obtained his law degree from the University of Oregon in 1998. Working in both the public and private sector, Chris started Roy Law in 2009 with a focus on representing people who have been denied disability insurance benefits. Chris has handled hundreds of disability insurance cases at all stages including applications, appeals, and litigation. Approximately seventy-five percent of Roy Law’s cases are devoted to ERISA-governed long-term disability insurance disputes, with the majority of clients being located on the West Coast and within the federal jurisdiction of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Contact Chris Roy
- 2 General Credits
ProLawCLE will seek approval of any CLE program where the registering attorney is primarily licensed with exceptions stated below. Application is made at the time an attorney registers for a course, therefore approval may not be received at the time of broadcasting.
ProLawCLE does not seek approval in the state of Virginia.
Each state has its own governing rules and regulations with regards to CLE courses and formats, therefore please contact your state MCLE regulatory entity for further details about your state's rules. Please visit our State Requirements page for information regarding your state's CLE requirements and/or contact information for your state bar.
As stated in our Reciprocity Provision, ProLawCLE will grant credit in the following states through reciprocity, therefore direct application will not be made in these states:
AK, AR, CO, FL, ME, MT, ND, NH, NJ, NY, and PR.
ProLawCLE is dedicated to providing quality education from expert speakers and ensuring each attorney receives CLE credit for their participation. If for some reason a particular course does not receive approval in the attorney's primary state of licensure, ProLawCLE will give credit for a future approved course or give a full refund, if applicable.
Each On-Demand course is available to you for 1 year from date of purchase. Additionally, CLE credit is only available within that year.
- Overview of ERISA: Statutory and Regulatory Scheme
- Determining what laws, ERISA or state laws, apply to an LTD claim
- How ERISA affects the claim: Compare and contrast ERISA vs. state law claims with an emphasis on ERISA claims
- Stages of an ERISA LTD benefits claim
- Initial claim procedures
- Appealing a denial of benefits
- Litigation: Seeking judicial review of a appeal denial
- Issues in ERISA LTD benefit applications
- Understanding the key elements of an ERISA LTD plan: First, need to determine what is the plan.
- Understanding what you need to prove to obtain benefits.
- Understanding Proof of Claim requirements.
- Issues in ERISA LTD benefit appeals
- Understanding the regulatory framework, including timelines deadlines, the claimant's right to the claim file and plan documents, etc.
- Understanding the insurance company's obligations related to the content of the denial letter, conducting a full and fair review, and the content of an appeal denial letter (if applicable).
- Understanding the claimant's responsibility to prove their claim and cooperate with the insurance companies investigation.
- Understanding the importance of the appeal and the content of the claim file.
- Issues in ERISA LTD benefit litigation under 502(A)(1)(b)
- Understanding the limitations period for bringing a lawsuit
- Understanding the lawsuit- judicial review of the insurance company's decision.
- Understanding ERISA's savings clause.
- Understanding discretionary clauses.
- Understanding the importance of venue.
- Compare and contrasting the process of litigating a case under abuse of discretion review vs. de novo review
- Modern Trends
- States are outlawing discretionary clauses
- Tension in the common law between trust and contract theories
- Movement by insurers to provide more and more contractual limitations
- Remedies under 502(A)(1)(b)
- Challenges with unpublished opinions and the wide variety of persuasive authority available