About Jay Beskin
Since 1979, Jay has concentrated his practice in estate planning, IRS tax controversies, trust administration, corporate and commercial law, probate and real estate law. In addition, Jay has extensive experience in local governmental matters and also represents condominium associations and property owner associations in their governance and property matters Jay works with individuals and business owners to ensure cost effective transfer of family wealth to desired beneficiaries, including charities, with minimal estate and gift taxes. Jay also represents emerging and mature businesses in most aspects of corporate law, including employee, shareholder and partnership agreements, financing and leasing agreements, mergers and acquisitions and general business agreements.
From 1996 through 2005, Jay served as a commissioner of the City of Aventura.
A native of Chicago, Illinois, Jay obtained his undergraduate degree in 1975 from Georgetown University School of Foreign Service and his J.D. in 1978 from Washington University (St. Louis). He received his C.P.A. from the University of Illinois while in law school. Also, during law school he clerked for Judge Robert Dowd of the Missouri Court of Appeals.
- Georgetown University School of Foreign Service, B.S.F.S (1975)
- Washington University, J.D. (1978)
- National Moot Court Competition, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Medal for Excellence in Advocacy, 1977
- The Florida Bar, Tax Law Section
- District of Columbia Bar
- Illinois Bar
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Tax Court
- Certified Public Accountant, Illinois
- Estate Planning Council of Broward County
- Aventura, Florida City Commissioner (1996-2005)
- Northeast Dade Leadership Council, Past Chair
- Food for Life Network, President
- Planned Gift Advisory Committee, United Way of Broward County, Chair
- 8th and 9th Annual Joint Tax & Estate Planning Seminars (Community Foundation of Broward, Jewish Community Foundation of Broward, United Way of Broward), Co-Chair
- Trustees Advisory Group, Greater Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce, Member
- Urban Environmental League of Miami Orchid Award for Protecting Green Space, Recipient
- Northeast Dade Coalition Philip Cohen Award for Community Achievement, Recipient
- ITT/Chicago-Kent College of Law, Past Adjunct Professor of Law
- Co Author, “Installment Sales for Estate Planning Purposes Under the New Act,” Taxes, The Tax Magazine, 1981.
- Co Author, “Taxation: Substance v. Form and Other Esoterica,” 62 Chicago-Kent Law Review 3, 1986.
- Financial Planning Association of Broward
- Broward South Association of Life Underwriters
- Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education
Phone: (954) 861-1426