About Sanjeev Kumar
Sanjeev Kumar is the founder and principal at the Kumar Law Firm, which provides a wide range of legal services to entrepreneurs and business owners in the area of business & corporate law and intellectual property along with related areas of interest to clients such as business succession planning, wealth preservation through estate planning, and alternate dispute resolution.
Sanjeev understands the issues faced by his clients as he has walked in their shoes. He has been a successful technology professional, entrepreneur and business leader managing teams that were culturally diverse and located in different geographic areas. His technology and engineering experience along with business know how in dealing with customers, suppliers and partners all around the globe when combined with knowledge of law makes Sanjeev a valuable advisor to entrepreneurs, professional managers and business owners.
Sanjeev’s skill set enables him to balance the often conflicting business (risk taker) and legal (risk averse) forces and find optimal solutions for clients that avoid the common pitfalls in reaching the business goals while at the same time mitigate risks and are within the legal constraints imposed on such transactions. Sanjeev believes that there is no need to reinvent the wheel. He provides his clients not only sound legal advice but also insights in avoiding the pitfalls and costly mistakes that are easy to make when the client focus is limited to setting up a business, growing it or operating it. Sanjeev provides sound but candid input to clients and helps them in reaching the right decisions.
Sanjeev has had experiences in negotiating deals with the industry stalwarts like Apple, Sony, Samsung, Microsoft, and Philips. He has dealt with customers, suppliers and partners in various geographies like Japan, Taiwan, Korea, Europe, India and China/Hong Kong. He has managed remote teams in India, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Korea and Japan. All these experiences enable him to be the savvy and tough advocate a client appreciates to have by his/her side.
- Juris Doctor (JD) (Summa Cum Laude, 2nd in class of 280),
St. Mary’s University School of Law, San Antonio, Texas
- Finance & Accounting for Non-Finance Executives,
University of Washington School of Business, Seattle, Washington
- Master of Science in Electrical Engineering,
Tulane University, New Orleans LA
- Bachelor of Technology in Electrical Engineering,
Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur India
Legal Memberships and Honors
- Member American Bar Association
- Member State Bar of Texas
- Member Harlan Society (Law Honors Society)
- Member Phi Delta Phi (Law Honors Fraternity)
- Member Alternative Dispute Resolution Section, State Bar of Texas
- Member Antitrust and Business Litigation Section, State Bar of Texas
- Member Asian Pacific Interest Section, State Bar of Texas
- Member Business Law Section, State Bar of Texas
- Member Computer and Technology Section, State Bar of Texas
- Member Consumer and Commercial Law Section, State Bar of Texas
- Member Corporate Counsel Section, State Bar of Texas
- Member General Practice, Solo, and Small Firm Section, State Bar of Texas
- Member Intellectual Property Law Section, State Bar of Texas
- Member International Law Section, State Bar of Texas
- Member Real Estate, Probate, and Trust Law Section, State Bar of Texas
Business and Corporate Experience
- PortalPlayer Inc., Kirkland, Washington [Founder & Chief Operating Officer (2003-2007), Founder & Vice President, Software Engineering (1999-2003)]
PortalPlayer was a technology startup that provided complete solution, including the system on a chip (SOC), firmware, and accompanying PC software for digital media devices. PortalPlayer’s SOC was the main processor in numerous such devices including the first seven generations of Apple iPod. It was a venture backed company raising about $84 million over four rounds of funding and had a successful Initial Public Offering on NASDAQ raising $110 Million. It was subsequently acquired by another public company. Sanjeev led the engineering, operations and information technology departments and managed daily operations with primary focus on driving revenue growth, profitability, and risk management. He negotiated and managed contracts with major customers like Apple, Microsoft, Samsung, Sony etc. and created and nurtured relationships with leading companies in US, India, Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Korea, and China. He also set up and managed the remote offices in Kirkland, Washington and Hyderabad, India.
- National Semiconductor, Kirkland, Washington [Director of Software Engineering (1997-1999), Senior Manager (1997-1997)]
Set up a new design center for the company to coordinate activities with Microsoft and bring software expertise into the mostly hardware centric company. Sanjeev managed the successful integration of employees from multiple acquisitions into the company and provided leadership to fifty plus software developers located across the states of California, Colorado, and Washington.
- Digital, Acton, Massachusetts [Engineering Manager (1995-1997), Chief Software Architect (1994-1995)]
Co architect of the first thin and light full featured notebook computer. He collaborated with chip vendors, suppliers and participated in industry consortiums for technology development in the area of portability, power management, and new bus architectures like card bus and helped architect a new class of notebook products with a patented docking mechanism.
- American Megatrends Inc. (AMI), Norcross, Georgia, [1989 to 1994]
A key member of the team that enabled the growth of the company from 20 people and $450K annual revenue in 1988 to a multinational company with 220 people and $89M annual revenue in 1993. His technical coordination was instrumental in acquiring major customers for the company like Intel, Hyundai, and a number of motherboard manufacturers in Silicon Valley and Taiwan.
Community Activities and interests
- Member Charter Review Committee, City of Lakeway, Texas, (2013 – 2014) – tasked to review the city charter and propose any modifications
- Member Ethics Board, City of Lakeway, Texas, (2009 – 2010)
- Founding Board Member, Patriot Fund of Lakeway, (2008 – Present) - helped raise over $300K for wounded veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan wars
- Board Member, TiE Austin Chapter (2007 – 2010) - World’s largest entrepreneurship organization
- President, Rotary Club of Austin Silicon Hills (2009-2010) - Charter member & Paul Harris fellow
- Member, Central Texas Angel Network (2008 – 2010) – Central Texas’ premier angel network