Cathy Fitch is a Certified Legal Malpractice Law Specialist. Her practice focuses on the defense of professionals and in the areas of commercial and business litigation in a range of tort, contract, and statutory claims at the trial and appellate level. Cathy defends a range of businesses in fraud claims, environmental claims, Americans with Disabilities Act claims and qui tams suits. Cathy handles administrative matters including those before the California State Bar, the National Futures Association and the SEC. She has successfully defended lawyers, other professionals, and businesses in a variety of lawsuits by anti-SLAPP motions and motions for summary judgment, and through trial, arbitration, and appeal.
Cathy began her career as a litigator with a construction and real estate firm in San Diego, where she litigated construction-related claims and matters on behalf of design professionals until 1988. She then became a name partner in a small firm where she continued to focus on construction matters, and also employment litigation.
Cathy later joined a boutique litigation firm specializing in the defense of professionals, with an emphasis on the defense of lawyers. In 2011, she became a name partner of the firm. She moved her practice to her current firm, Duckor Spradling Metzger & Wynne, in 2016.
Cathy has served as a guest judge in moot court competitions and lecturer at various continuing education courses. She has taught for the National Institute for Trial Advocacy for the past ten years. She is a member of the American Bar Association, the San Diego County Bar Association, Lawyers Club, and The American Inns of Court, Louis M. Welsh Inn. She is a past member of the State Bar Committee on the Administration of Justice and former chair of the San Diego County Bar Legal Malpractice Committee. She has been selected to Super Layers® in legal malpractice law since 2011.
Cathy obtained a degree in Economics and graduated with highest honors from the University of California, Davis, where she was named to the Phi Beta Kappa honors society. She obtained her law degree from Hastings College of the Law where she served as Articles Editor for the International and Comparative Law Review.
- General Negligence and Tort Litigation
- Professional Liability
- Business Litigation
- Hastings College of the Law, JD 1980 – Chief Articles Editor, Hastings International, and Comparative Law Review
- University of California at Davis, BA Economics 1977 with highest honors
Admissions & Memberships:
- State Bar of California
- Certified Specialist, Legal Malpractice Law. Former member, Committee on the Administration of Justice.
- San Diego County Bar Association. Founding Member and Former Chair, Committee on Legal Malpractice. Arbitrator, Fee Arbitration Panel.
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Louis M. Welsh Inn of Court
- Lawyers Club
- Super Lawyers, Professional Liability, since 2011