Stuart (Stu) Anolik, JD, LLM, is the founder of Anolik & Associates, P.C. and Partner at Fidelis Business & Advisory LLC where he is focused on corporate, securities, federal income tax, with an emphasis on international tax and captive insurance. He has extensive experience in international investment and finance, intellectual property migration, transfer pricing, infrastructure project finance, mergers and acquisitions, and international taxation. He has represented clients, ranging from start-ups to Fortune 500 companies, on various international securities and transactional matters, including multi-jurisdictional acquisitions and dispositions of business; cross-border joint ventures; and securities transactions and financings for the U.S., European, Asian, and Latin American companies. In addition, Stu provides consulting services to high net worth individuals in regard to estate planning, wealth preservation, and asset protection.
Stu also consults with companies on the advantages of implementing captive insurance scenarios that can benefit clients in such areas as risk mitigation and cost control. He is a frequent lecturer and writer on the topic of captive insurance and has served as an expert witness in a number of cases dealing with this topic.
Before joining the Firm, Stu was a managing director with a national CPA firm and headed its international tax practice. Prior to that, Stu was a shareholder in a national law firm focusing on international tax matters.
- Board Member, Captive Insurance Council of the District of Columbia, 2011-2012
- Board Member and Vice President, Singapore American Business Association (SABA, East), 1998-2005
- Board Member, US-Israel Business Exchange, 1999-2005
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland State Bar Association
Articles and Lectures
- “Captive Insurance – Making Sense Of It All”, Global Tax Weekly, CCH, September 2013
- Speaker, “Private Investment in Provider Facilities,” International Conference, Self-Insurance Institute of America, Inc., Coral Gables, FL June 2012
- Speaker, 10th Annual Conference of the Captive Insurance Council of the District of Columbia, Oct 2011
- Speaker, “IP Taxation and International Tax,” Maryland State Bar Association, Montgomery County Tax Study Group, Rockville, MD, Oct 2011
- Speaker, “Tax Update,” CalCPA Entertainment Industry Conference, Santa Monica, CA, April 2011
- Speaker, “International Tax Considerations for a Maryland Company,” “Captive Insurance Opportunities for Non-Insurance Companies,” MACPA 2010 Advanced Tax Institute, Baltimore, MD, Nov 2010
- “Captive Insurance: an Opportunity to Minimize Risk Mitigation Costs,” in BIZGrowth Strategies, Summer 2011.
- “Going Global – unique rules govern the taxation of your new global enterprise,” in Washington SmartCEO, Nov .2008
- Co-Author, “Controlled Foreign Corporations,” CCH Federal Tax Service M:8.00
- Co-Author, “OECD and E-Commerce: Clarification or Fundamental Change?,” 11-99 Tax Planning International E-Commerce BNA ISSN 1464-8903
- Co-author, “Subpart F and Source of Income Issues in E-Commerce,” Tax Notes International, October 2000
- Co-Author, “Offshore Operations: Taking E-Commerce Operations Offshore,” International Tax Review, 2001
- Author, International Government Procurement Directory, World Trade Center, Baltimore, Maryland, 1996
- Co-Author, “Export Financing,” International Newsletter, Signet Bank, December 1996
- Speaker, “The 1999 and 2000 Conferences on Advanced Tax Strategy for E-Commerce-Going from Theory to Practice: Tax Strategies for Forming and Structuring a Web-Based Business,” The Conference Board, New York and San Francisco
- Speaker, “E-Business: Taxation in a Virtual Marketplace, E-Commerce ’99,” Tel Aviv, Israel
- Speaker, “Tax Issues Associated with Trade and Investment in the Republic of China,” George Washington University Symposium of International Issues, May 1999
- Speaker, “Foreign Corrupt Practices Act,” Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants, January, 1997
- Speaker, “Trade Finance, World Trade Center Institute,” Baltimore, Maryland, May, 1996
- Speaker, “Legal Issues Associated with Trade and Investment in Singapore,” World Trade Center Institute, Baltimore, Maryland, and Chicago, Illinois, November, 1995.