Live Webcast/Rebroadcast – You watch the course online at the specified date and time shown below. You can ask questions and receive answers during the course.
On-Demand – You watch the course anytime and will have access to the course 24/7. Our On-Demand courses are available within 5-10 business days after the original recording and accessible for one year.
This program was recorded on August 29, 2018
Have you ever secretly or even no so secretly wanted to fly on a private jet? How about the idea owning and operating one? Have you ever asked yourself what it is like to travel by modern time machine in the present? In this presentation, you will learn how to advise clients on the purchase of private aircraft and many of the unique legal considerations associated with the process.
Before forming Aviation Legal Counsel, Mr. Owens spent over ten years focused on aviation related legal matters with boutique firms. Mr. Owens has acted as counsel in the purchase and sale of hundreds of aircraft transactions ranging from experimental home-built aircraft to Gulfstream 550 aircraft. Mr. Owens has worked with every major manufacturer of turbine powered corporate aircraft. Mr. Owens has also been involved in the merger and acquisition of many aviation related businesses.Mr. Owens practice concentrates on aircraft and aviation related transactions, cross-border transactions, airman defense before the FAA and Department of Transportation, airport real estate and land use, and civil litigation. Mr. Owens formed Aviation Legal Counsel in 2017.
2 General Credits
ProLawCLE will seek approval of any CLE program where the registering attorney is primarily licensed with exceptions stated below. Application is made at the time an attorney registers for a course, therefore approval may not be received at the time of broadcasting.
ProLawCLE does not seek approval in the state of Virginia.
Each state has its own governing rules and regulations with regards to CLE courses and formats, therefore please contact your state MCLE regulatory entity for further details about your state’s rules. Please visit our State Requirements page for information regarding your state’s CLE requirements and/or contact information for your state bar.
As stated in our Reciprocity Provision, ProLawCLE will grant credit in the following states through reciprocity, therefore direct application will not be made in these states:
AK, AR, CO, FL, ME, MT, ND, NH, NJ, NY, and PR.
ProLawCLE is dedicated to providing quality education from expert speakers and ensuring each attorney receives CLE credit for their participation. If for some reason a particular course does not receive approval in the attorney’s primary state of licensure, ProLawCLE will give credit for a future approved course or give a full refund, if applicable.
Each On-Demand course is available to you for 1 year from date of purchase. Additionally, CLE credit is only available within that year.
- Who Buys Private Aircraft?
- How are they utilized?
- Why are private aircraft necessary?
- What parties are generally involved in an aircraft purchase/sale?
- Escrow Companies
- Maintenance Facilities
- Technical Representatives
- Identifying the Right Private Jet and Ownership Structure
- Ownership as an individual
- Ownership through an LLC or S-Corp.
- Co-Ownership or Partnerships
- Ownership through a Trust for non-Citizens of the United States
- Ownership through registrations of convenience
- Phases of the Transaction
- The Letter of Intent
- To borrow or pay cash…why does it matter?
- The Purchase Agreement
- Necessary Terms
- Unique Considerations such as state sales tax
- Special Representations and Warranties
- The International Registry of Mobile Assets
- Scope and Detail of the Pre-Buy Inspection
- Closing and how Oklahoma escrow companies fit in
- Operating Arrangements
- Will operations be strictly private or will charter be involved?
- Who will manage the aircraft?
- Will the aircraft be owner flown or professionally flown?
- Fractional Programs
- Commercial vs. Non-Commercial Operations
- Common Areas of Dispute
- Management Arrangements
- Certain models of aircraft
- Anything Old
- Recent Developments
- 2017 Tax Bill
- ADS-B Out Considerations
- Pilot Shortage