Live Webcast/Rebroadcast – You watch the course online at the specified date and time shown below. You can ask questions and receive answers during the course.
On-Demand – You watch the course anytime and will have access to the course 24/7. Our On-Demand courses are available within 5-10 business days after the original recording and accessible for one year.
This program was recorded on December 6, 2018
We all grow up with the illusion that love leads to marriage and everyone lives happily ever after, however, that is far from the truth. At least 42% of marriages will end up in divorce. The divorce rate is higher for second and subsequent marriages. Money and communication are the two of the top three reasons people get divorced. Therefore, it is important to plan for possible scenarios in the future so that everyone is protected which can provide peace of mind. Marriage and cohabitation are wonderful but it also difficult. It is important to have level-headed discussions about what might happen if your feelings change in the future now, when both of you are on the same team and truly want what is best for each other. That is why it is important to have a premarital agreement or cohabitation agreement in place prior to marriage or residing together. Even if you do not have an agreement prior to marriage you can still enter into a prenuptial agreement after you get married and this course will walk you through all three.
Michelle Hutt is a seasoned Florida Family Law attorney with over ten years of experience. For the last four years, Ms. Hutt has been listed as a Rising Star by Super Lawyers. Thomson Reuters’ Super Lawyers rates outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. Ms. Hutt received her bachelor’s degree in English literature from the University of South Florida and graduated from Stetson University College of Law. Ms. Hutt was in private practice since graduating law school until January 2018, when she opened her own boutique law firm. Ms. Hutt’s personal goal is to help families navigate through the various family law matters that arise within their lives.
2 General Credits
ProLawCLE will seek approval of any CLE program where the registering attorney is primarily licensed with exceptions stated below. Application is made at the time an attorney registers for a course, therefore approval may not be received at the time of broadcasting.
ProLawCLE does not seek approval in the state of Virginia.
Each state has its own governing rules and regulations with regards to CLE courses and formats, therefore please contact your state MCLE regulatory entity for further details about your state’s rules. Please visit our State Requirements page for information regarding your state’s CLE requirements and/or contact information for your state bar.
As stated in our Reciprocity Provision, ProLawCLE will grant credit in the following states through reciprocity, therefore direct application will not be made in these states:
AK, AR, CO, FL, ME, MT, ND, NH, NJ, NY, and PR.
ProLawCLE is dedicated to providing quality education from expert speakers and ensuring each attorney receives CLE credit for their participation. If for some reason a particular course does not receive approval in the attorney’s primary state of licensure, ProLawCLE will give credit for a future approved course or give a full refund, if applicable.
Each On-Demand course is available to you for 1 year from date of purchase. Additionally, CLE credit is only available within that year.
- INTRODUCTION: Overview
- What is Prenuptial Agreement? (aka premarital agreement and an antenuptial agreement)
- What is a Post Nuptial Agreement?
- PRENUPTIAL AGREEMENT
- What is the Uniform Premarital Agreement Act (UPAA)?
- What states are governed by the UPAA? Is Florida one of them?
- Florida Statute 61.079- “Premarital Agreements”
- The conception and execution of a Premarital Agreement
- What can and cannot be protected in a Premarital Agreement
- Child support
- Custody of pets
- Distribution of assets and liabilities
- Payment of Attorney fees and costs
- Enforceability of premarital agreements
- Famous celebrities and their premarital agreements
- Pitfalls to avoid in drafting premarital agreements
- Helpful tips
- Sample Premarital Agreement
- POST NUPTIAL AGREEMENT
- How is it different then a premarital agreement?
- Is it governed under UPAA?
- Why do couples enter into post nuptial agreements?
- What can and cannot be included in a post nuptial agreement?
- What consideration is required for a post nuptial agreement?
- How is a post nuptial agreement upheld in Florida?
- How can a post nuptial agreement be voided?
- COHABITATION AGREEMENTS
- Why are they important between unmarried couples living together?
- What can and cannot be included?
- Are they enforceable in Florida even though Florida does not legally permit cohabitation?
- Benefits of a cohabitation agreement?
- HOW TO EXPLAIN TO YOUR CLIENT’S THE BENEFITS OF A PREMARITAL; POST NUPTIAL AND COHABITATION AGREEMENT
- How can your client best approach these subjects with their significant other?
- How do you overcome the attorney client privilege if both parties want to meet with you?
- Tips on how to make the process less adversarial